Lion Dance Request Form
To request a performance from us, please fill in the information in the form on the left. Please ensure to provide the DATE, TIME, ADDRESS (if unavailable at this time, please remember to follow up once it is known), and the type of performance you desire. For more information, please refer to the FAQS below. If further clarification is needed, please don't hesitate to contact us by email.
UCSD campus requests: Please provide specific location of desired performance in the format of College, Nearest Building (if not inside it), 2nd Nearest Building if applicable. (i.e. Thurgood Marshall College, Ocean View Terrace for indoor performance).
Q: Where Do You Perform?
--- We perform mostly on the UCSD campus. However, we do perform off-campus as well around the San Diego Community. It is usually difficult to perform anywhere outside the San Diego community, however we will put it under consideration.
Q: What Factors Should I Consider Prior To Booking A Performance?
--- When booking a performance from us, think about things like:
· Does the size of the venue match what you want us to perform?
· Will weather be a factor?
· Often, the performance is for a special event. Have you considered at what point and how you want the performers to appear?
· Is it a surprise performance?
Q: Do You Charge A Fee?
--- Yes, we do charge a fee to cover transportation, equipment maintenance, and repairs . The costs of performances depend on a number of factors: distance from the UCSD campus, duration of performance, number of lions, props, etc. As such, prices may range from $200 up to $800 per event performance.
Q: What's Included In A Performance?
--- A typical lion dance includes at least one lion, a percussion ensemble, and a few props. The availability of special props, such as benches, depends largely on the height limitations of the venue as well as the availability of the performers. Such props are currently unavailable.
Q: How Long Does A Performance Usually Last?
--- A choreographed performance generally runs for about eight minutes. Performances can always be lengthened or shortened to suit the event.
- Many clients for private parties (weddings and birthdays) often remark that eight minutes may be too short for their needs when they first hear this. Please keep in mind that this is equivalent to two to three songs (or music videos) where there will be a great deal of drumming and cymbal playing. Most people find that eight minutes is more than enough.
- Larger events such as movie premieres and corporate parties may only want the lions as a sort of backdrop to greet their guests. In such cases, it's common to request low energy performances that last for 30 minutes or more.
Q: Is There Any Music?
--- Always. From a traditional cultural point of view, the drum represents the heartbeat of the lions and is used to herald the approach of the dragon, a Chinese god. It's improper to perform without live music. From the entertainment perspective, a performance is just better with live music. We will provide the music.
Q: How Do We Book You For A Performance?
--- It all starts by submitting a request through the form on the left of this page. Please ensure to provide the number of lions desired, location, date, and time of the event. Payment is usually requested on the day of the event.
Q: Will A Deposit Be Required?
--- No we do not require a deposit. When you submit a request, we "pencil" it in, and once you're sure you want us to perform for you, we "pen" it. We only ask that you give us ample notice should you decide to cancel a booking to allow other clients an opportunity to book your event date and time.